- Butts County School System
- District News
COVID-19 Status Update
Posted by Butts County School System on 4/30/2021
I am writing to provide you with an update on our response and mitigation measures related to COVID-19. We continue to monitor our community transmission data as well as the data for transmission at the school-level. Additionally, we are aware that new recommendations are coming out frequently as the body of research continues to build pertaining to how the virus is being transmitted in communities and in schools.
In summary, our data continues to improve. We are seeing very low levels of transmission, and researchers are developing additional confidence in the safety of individuals in outdoor settings and the effectiveness of vaccines. However, It is certainly important to recognize that COVID-19 remains a public health concern.
I am certainly aware of the eagerness we all feel about getting back to normal and abandoning the mitigation measure we have adopted this year. Specifically, as it relates to the use of face-coverings and school activities.
Based on the aforementioned factors, we will move forward with the following flexibility:
- The use of face-coverings in outdoor settings for students and staff will become optional effectively immediately. However, please know that we will be prepared to reinstate the use of face coverings in all settings should it become necessary.
- The use of face coverings on school busses will become optional as long as all windows are down and capacity of the bus is under the maximum number such that passengers can achieve adequate social distancing.
- Elementary schools are developing schedules that will allow students to have increased access to the playground on a more regular basis.
- We will seek to optimize more opportunities for students to remove their face coverings while at school when it is appropriate and safe to do so.
- We are taking steps to ensure that we can proceed with end of the year activities in a safe manner.
As always, the health and safety of our students and staff is of the utmost importance. I can not thank you enough for the dedication and flexibility you all have shown during this unprecedented school year. We will continue to use all of our resources to provide you with on-going support during this unique and challenging time.