Child Find is a legal requirement that schools find all children who have disabilities and who may be entitled to special education services. The purpose of child find it to identify, locate and evaluate children and your who are suspected of, or have a disability or developmental delay.
A child should be referred when:
- A health or medical disorder interferes with development or learning
- A child seems to have difficulty seeing or hearing
- A child appears to have emotional difficulties that affect his/her ability to learn
- A child has a diagnosed progressive or degenerative condition that will impede the child's ability to learn.
- A child's speech is not understandable to family or friends
- A child has difficulty with academics